Sports is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. It includes non-physical activities as well.
What is Sports Psychology?
The scientific study of people engaged in sport and exercise activities and the application of the knowledge gained (Gill, 2000). Sports in general is underrated in India, thus Sport Psychology comes even after that. Although, times have begun to change and initiatives are being taken. Sports Psychology is an upcoming field and is generally available to professional athletes only.
People associated to sports psychology could be academicians, researchers studying different concepts or practitioners working with individual players or team.
Sports Psychology revolves around mind-body connection. Most of us understand that our mind and body are interlinked and affect one another. The field of sport is one area wherein the interplay between mind and body becomes excessively crucial. Thus, Mind Coaching is the answer to complete the puzzle (along with skill set of the game) in order to get successful outcomes in sports field
Cognitive Hypnotic Psychotherapists integrates concepts and techniques from cognitive therapies, Clinical Hypnosis, Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and Mindfulness for better results. The overall purpose is to enhance the wellness and well-being of the player.
Sports Psychology: Challenges Players Face?
Players get affected in different ways and simply knowing the sport or being good at your game need not be a sufficient solution. Some of the factors affecting sports persons are:
- Lack of confidence
- Difficulty in filtering out environmental distractions
- Loss of focus
- Excessive cognitive thinking
- Desires to maximize utility of the training
- Depression, isolation, withdrawal, irritation, emotional outbursts, etc.
- Set back due to failure or injury
- Team dynamics
Sports Psychology is the next upcoming area in the field of mental health. Internationally, mind coaches, sports psychologists, therapists and likes for sports persons is a well-known concept. It is now slowly and gradually finding its roots in India.
Players know the skill of the game they play, however the importance of knowing the correct metal state for a game is an under recognized phenomenon. It is a process wherein individuals are enabled to access their best mental state which in turn will enhance their performance further more.
Sports Psychology: Benefits for Players
- To understand how psychological factors an individual’s performance
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Develop and enhance self confidence
- Improve and maintain motivation
- Bounce back from defeats, injuries and set backs
- Performance enhancement through the use of Hypnosis and NLP
- Enhance focus and concentration
- Ability to handle competition
- Maintain focus and calmness during trying times
- Dealing with social and developmental factors that influence sports participation
If you are a mental health professional who works with athletes and other sports professionals and wants to develop advanced skills that can influence not just the conscious but also the unconscious responses of your client, Cognitive Hypnotic Psychotherapy™ is just the perfect program for you.