Are you looking for the best CBT courses in India or
The best CBT certification in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, or Bangalore?
Or maybe you are situated in one of the non-metro cities and are looking for or researching the good CBT courses that you could attend in your city or online.
So, to cut the long story short, if you are interested in the best Cognitive Behaviour Therapy certification you will find this post very useful.
Before we directly dive into the various institutes and courses, let me quickly give you an introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or CBT.
American psychiatrist, Aaron Beck, developed a form of psychotherapy in the 1960s and 1970s that he originally named “Cognitive Therapy”, a term that is often used synonymously with “Cognitive Behaviour Therapy”.
Beck devised a structured, short-term, present-oriented psychotherapy for depression. Since that time, he and others around the world have successfully adapted this therapy to a surprisingly diverse set of populations with a wide range of disorders and problems, in many settings and formats.
In a nutshell, the cognitive behavioural therapy model proposes that dysfunctional thinking (which influences the individual’s mood and behaviour) is common to all psychological disturbances. When people learn to evaluate their thinking more realistically and adaptively, they experience a decrease in negative emotions and maladaptive behaviour.
In traditional CBT, the therapist would likely help an individual examine the validity of their thoughts which may lead to the conclusion that the thought was overgeneralized and the individual would realize that he/she still does many things well, despite the depression.
Looking at their experience from this new perspective would probably decrease the dysphoria and may engage in more functional behaviour.
Cognitions (both adaptive and maladaptive) occur at three levels
- Automatic thoughts are at the most superficial level.
- The next is the intermediate beliefs such as underlying assumptions.
- And at the deepest level are your core beliefs about yourself, others, and the world.
For lasting improvement in an individual’s mood, the therapist will work at all three levels. Modifying both automatic thoughts and underlying dysfunctional beliefs produces enduring change.
Nowadays CBT certifications are being offered to people after attending as little as 4 hours of training.
Some institutes will play smart by announcing a 1 month CBT certification program or CBT coach training program with 2 hours of training 2 times a week. That is overall less than 20 hours of training. These CBT courses are offered at highly subsidized prices which makes them very appealing but end up being a waste of time and money.
This make it extremely important that you research the various options available as far as CBT Certification programs or CBT Coaching courses are concerned before really investing in one.
To make it easier for you, we have created a list of institutes that you should check out. The first part of the list is for you if you are looking at applying for standalone CBT courses as a practitioner. But if you are interested in taking your practice to the next level and learning to use CBT techniques as a part of a comprehensive eclectic approach then you can just skip the next question.
After you go through the list of the top CBT courses in India, we do recommend that you connect with the institute/trainer over a call and check whether you resonate with them. If you are not sure how to find whether the trainer or the institute is right for you, we are also sharing a set of guidelines towards the end of this post that you can use to select the Top CBT Course that is right for you.
- Morphic Minds
Morphic Minds is a Nagpur-based company in the training and supervision of Mental Health professionals, emotional education of students, and a range of programs for the population at large. Morphic Minds offers a primary and an advanced course in CBT both of which are spanning to 3 days and 4 days respectively.
Emoticons India is Pune-based psychological counselling, testing, training, and research center. It came into existence to help people deal with their troubles and bring in a positive change. Emoticons India was founded in 2014, by Ms Nikunja Gujar, along with Ms Kaveri Bose and Mr Suraj Bholane.
Endorphin Corporation is a Pune based firm that offers Counselling Courses for enhancement of the skills of psychologists, psychotherapists, psychiatrists, doctors, nurses or nursing students, Alternate medicine doctors, dilatations, Alternative Therapists, Yoga Therapists, counsellors, Trainers, Coaches, L & D professionals, HR professionals. Its focus and instructional design are created to use this learning for practical implementation. All the courses use cutting-edge knowledge and bring in neuroscience research and approach.
The trainers included in this list are based on the research we have done and our experience of interacting either with them or their team and also based on what their participants have to say about them on different social channels.
If you are a psychologist and would like to learn CBT as a part of a very comprehensive eclectic approach to help your clients overcome intense negative emotions, traumas and even issues resulting from repressed memories, then you would love the Cognitive Hypnotic Psychotherapy Diploma.
You not only learn CBT techniques but also learn to integrate them with other approaches to psychotherapy. The integration of Hypnosis enables you to customize the CBT techniques to tailor them to your client’s needs. You learn to work with even those automatic thoughts that the client is consciously not aware of. The SOFT SEA model acts as a framework within which this integration works.
The psychotherapy diploma also incorporates the additional processes and techniques that focus on psychosomatic issues. This is probably the most comprehensive and powerful course that is currently available for those looking at developing advanced therapeutic skills.
Besides the comprehensiveness of the course itself, we provide you with access to an ongoing support system to address your difficulties on your journey as a practitioner.
Use the following step by step guide to finding the CBT course that is right for you:
- The first step is to identify what you are trying to achieve by attending a CBT training program. Is the primary objective to:
- Help you address a specific challenge you have in your life
- Get a piece of paper popularly known as “certificate”
- Develop coaching competencies to help you help your clients create a positive shift in their life
- Incorporate CBT in your practice as a therapist and help clients overcome intense negative issues and traumas
This one step will help you filter out many training programs and make it a lot easier for you to select the best CBT training program that fits your requirement. It will also help you identify the right questions to ask the CBT course provider to find which is right for you.
- The next step is to look for best CBT courses or trainers and do a quick overview of the website, the curriculum they offer, and the course duration. For the CBT practitioners program, the live (not recorded) course duration must be equal to at least 40 hours. Additional recorded resources over and above 40 hours would be useful.
- Check the reviews for the CBT trainer and the CBT training institute. Pay attention to the words used by participants and what is the focus of the review. This will help you understand whether the course is more suited for personal growth or for developing practitioners’ skills. Also, look for live testimonials that participants have recorded at the end of the course as that seems to reflect the true experience more than prepared testimonials.
- Check if the course has any eligibility criteria. Especially if you want to apply CBT in psychotherapy, eligibility criteria restricting access to the course only for people from psychology or related backgrounds indicate a focus on quality participants instead of quantity.
The quality of after workshop support provided by the CBT Trainer or CBT Course Provider.
This is even more important at times than the actual workshop because you will come across clients in your practice where you will need help and guidance. If you don’t have the required support and guidance then it wouldn’t matter whether you are trained by the best CBT trainer ever.
- If the institute or the trainer offers a money-back guarantee, that is a major plus because that means even if the course is expensive, your investment is protected in case the course doesn’t turn out to be of the quality promised.
What are the clear indicators that the institute or the trainer you are researching on is not a top CBT course provider?
- If the course is too short. Any course less than 80 live hours is not even worth considering.
- If the primary pitch of the CBT trainer or the training institute revolves around certifications or affiliations. CBT is a non-regulated field. Any certificate issued by any institute doesn’t have any legal value. When an institute or trainer focuses too much on these, it is a clear indicator that there isn’t much to talk about the course quality and hence the focus on playing with lack of awareness about the importance of certifications and affiliations.
- CBT institutes or CBT trainers not providing proper post-workshop support.
- CBT courses that are completely recorded and do not include live demonstrations and practise sessions under supervision.
Still have questions, book a free discovery call with one of our team members.